In plant breeding, adding desirable traits to stable varieties is very labour-intensive and time-consuming, especially in slow-growing varieties. Techniques that can accelerate this process are highly desirable. Reproduction cells, gametes, contain only half of the genetic material of the parent plant and are therefore very attractive material for making new plants with a pure genetic background. Over the years, Fytagoras has become a specialist in doubled haploid technology, producing homozygous plants for breeding companies as a service. The success of this approach has already been demonstrated in a wide variety of crops and varieties.Download presentation 'Fytagoras DH production'
Benefits of doubled haploids in your breeding programme are:
- Production of 100% homozygous parent line
- Uniform parents for hybrid seed production (F1)
- Very uniform offspring
- Accelerate breeding programmes (varieties can be introduced to the market faster)
- Faster anticipation of custormer questions
- Selecting lethal genes in just 1 step
- Identificatoin of recessive mutants
- Realisation of stable populations for genetic studies
The Tomato success story
For many years it proved to be very difficult to obtain doubled haploid tomato plants. Scientific publications reported succesful preliminary results but never usable plants from a single gamete. We are proud to report that we are able to produce healthy doubled haploid plants from gametes. The first doubled haploid plants have been delivered to our customers.